BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: RAINY DAY IN JUNE #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

👉👉🔴🔴This blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. 😎 Click HERE ► to learn how.🔴🔴👈👈

June 01, 2023

RAINY DAY IN JUNE #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

    
This site is dedicated to Battle of the Bands exclusively.

♫ Today's showdown features two international male singers,
covering a tune by a famous British band. ♫ And, it's perfect for this month! 😉
In fact, I plan on going with month-themed songs for the rest of the year. 

HISTORY

"Rainy Day in June" is a song written by Ray Davies of The Kinks. It is the 6th track from their fourth studio album, Face to Face, released in October 1966.  


 The Kinks were an English rock band formed in London, in 1963 by brothers Ray and Dave Davies. They are regarded as one of the most influential bands of the 1960s. 


The band emerged during the height of British rhythm and blues and Merseybeat, and were briefly part of the British Invasion of the United States until their touring ban in 1965.  


The Kinks' music drew from a wide range of influences, including American R&B and rock and roll initially, and later adopting British music hallfolk, and country. 

The band gained a reputation for reflecting English culture and lifestyle, fuelled by Ray Davies' wittily observational writing style.  - WIKIPEDIA

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

GENE PIERSON

Gene Pierson (born Giancarlo Salvestrin, in Venice Italy, April 29, 1946) is a musician, who had an early solo career in New Zealand and Australia.


His 1960s and early 1970s songs, "Love, Love, Love", "You Got to Me" and "Reach Out", achieved local chart success Down Under. He launched AC/DC at Chequers nightclub on New Year's Eve 1974 and later became a publisher and music producer in Australia. 


"Rainy Day in June is the B side of his single, "You Got to Me" (a Neil Diamond cover), released in 1967. 

VS

CLAS YNGSTRÖM

Clas Yngström, born December 16, 1952, in Borlänge, Dalarna, is a Swedish composer, guitarist and lyricist. 


During the 1970s, he was a member of several different bandsHe also co-founded the group Sky High in 1978, and still tours with them.


Yngström mainly plays Fender Stratocaster, but during the early 1970s a Gibson SG was widely used. He is also a so-called ambassador for Hagström guitars.


"Rainy Day in June" is the 2nd song from his album, "Fat Guitar", released in 1996.


VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, June 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. 🙌
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be July 1st.

ROCK ON!

Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! 
 

10 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    Thanks for the introduction of this Kink's song. I like that both cover artists recordings have a different vibe. My ear leaned more into the first contender more than his rival. I loved the clapping thunder sound effects in this version and the vocals felt more moody like a rainy day might. Give my vote to Gene Pierson, please! Nice battle, my friend. Have a bandtastic day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to give my vote to the first one..Gene Pierson. I felt he was more in touch with the meaning of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, DEBBIE ~

    I liked The Kinks back in "the day". I owned some of their LPs, and I remember being particularly fond of 'Sleepwalker'.

    So, between these two covers, it was an easy cherce fer me. How come that? Because I really didn't care for the Gene Pierson version. Man, that was really bringing me down! June? I think of the beach, body-surfing, babes (the 3 Bs). Even if it rains in June, it doesn't have to be *that* depressing!

    I much preferred the more upbeat tempo and arrangement by CLAS "Fat Guitar Boy" YNGSTROM. He proved that you can still rock 'n' roll in the rain. I mean, c'mon! Just because it's raining, so what? It's still Summer, and there are still beach boardwalk bars. So, the babes are in the bars instead of on the beach. That's OK... for a day or so. We'll all get back in the sand 'n' surf soon enough.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding an offline vote for CLAS YNGSTRÖM from my good friend Cheryl. Thanks, Cheryl! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie!
    Gene almost had me with the thunder; which usually makes me squeal with delight. But Gene doesn't seem all that happy about it. Clas, on the other hand was slightly more upbeat with a splash of backup that worked better for the song - great song, by the way ;-) A vote for Clas Yngstrom, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liked both, second one was somewhat more listenable. I'd elaborate more, but Happy Boofus Day has me worn out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been traveling for the past few weeks. Great weather with not much to speak of in the way of rain. Kind of tough for me to do the Battle rounds this time, but I'm managing. I'm in a very loud place as I do these Battles today but I think I can discern the music well enough. I always liked the Kinks a great deal, but I can't say that I remember this song. Of the two versions the first didn't register with me at all--didn't care for the sound. That second guy, whatever his name is, sounded pretty good. Give my vote to that guy.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Voting for Clas Yngstrom here. Sorry to be slow to get around to the battles! Hopefully will do better next month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gene gets my vote because I find the song's sound to be layered/rich, and most pleasant. Also, he's a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good reasons, Robyn. ☺ The contest is over, but sadly, Gene lost by too many votes for yours to have helped him. Thanks for coming by, though!

      Delete

Thanks for participating🌞