BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: HEY JOE #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

April 01, 2023

HEY JOE #BOTB

WELCOME TO #BOTB 2023!

This new site is dedicated to Battle of the Bands exclusively.
♫ Today's showdown features an American-Italian funk/soul band
 and an American rock/folk/blues artist ♫

HISTORY 

"Hey Joe" is an American song from the 1960s that has become a rock standard, performed in many musical styles by hundreds of different artists. The lyrics tell of a man who is on the run and planning to head to Mexico after shooting his unfaithful wife.   
The authorship of the song has been contested, and different recordings have credited its writing to either Billy Roberts or Dino Valenti, or have listed it as a traditional song. "Hey Joe" was registered for copyright in the US in 1962 by Roberts, a California-based folk musician.     
When Jimi Hendrix was exploring a more rock-oriented sound in New York City in 1966, "Hey Joe" was one of the first songs he performed regularly. Looking for musical acts to produce, Chas Chandler, the ex-bassist for the Animals, was in the audience one night.
By chance, the first song Hendrix performed during Chandler's visit was "Hey Joe", a song Chandler was interested in promoting. As a result, he decided to take Hendrix with him to England in September 1966, where he would subsequently turn the guitarist into a star. - WIKIPEDIA

Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!

On to the contest!

WESS & THE AIREDALES

[Wess has appeared in one of my previous BOTBs. Click HERE ► to view.] 

The many incarnations of Wess & the Airedales started in 1961 in the US, when founder Doug Fowlkes fronted his Airedales band, recording a solitary 45 on the Viva label. More singles followed with singer Rocky Roberts at the helm, and things continued despite his relocation to Italy due to military service.

The band inevitably took on some Italian members, and in 1967, American-Italian vocalist and bassist Wess Johnson (originally from North Carolina) took over from Roberts. 

The American influence is obvious, as the band performed and released many more LPs, Eps and 45s of American-style Soul music – sung in English and Italian! Hey Joe is the third track from their self-titled album, released in 1970.

VS

TIM ROSE

 
Timothy Alan Patrick Rose (September 23, 1940 – September 24, 2002) was an American singer and songwriter who spent much of his life in London, England, and had more success in Europe than in his native country. (Similar to Jimi Hendrix!)

He attained some fame in the early 1960s as part of the folk trio, The Big 3, which included Cass Elliot (aka Mama Cass). The trio released two albums and appeared on several TV shows. 

Rose recorded Hey Joe as a single in 1966, and also included it as the 6th track of his self-titled album in 1967. His version (crediting himself as author), unlike others, was a slow, angry ballad. It received US radio airplay and became a regional hit in the San Francisco area, as well as upstate New York.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm EDT, April 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be  May 1st.

ROCK ON!

rockchick bitmoji

Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

 

21 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, weather here is so unpredictable these days, we all leave jackets and sweaters laying around like trendy decorations.
    Tim Rose reminds me of John Mellencamp, not bad. However, Wess has that raw, gritty sound that depicts tension, as well as intention. He gets my vote for being convincing ;-) Cool battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi diedre, we have similar weather! ๐Ÿ˜ First vote goes to Wess and his Airedales. He does sound convincing! ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    Casting my vote for Tim Rose.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years I've contemplated using this song. I think I've still got it in my to-do queue, but with totally different artists than you've used. It's not really a song that I like too much, but it's such a classic with so many cover versions.

    Never heard either of these versions, but they are both credible covers. My vote goes to Tim Rose.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Tim Rose. Thanks, Lee! I'd be interested to know which artists you picked for this song. ☺

      Delete
    2. Offhand I don't remember who I used. Guess you'll have to wait until I decide to pull this match out of my queue line-up.

      Delete
  4. HiYa, DEBBIE! ~

    Hmmm.... Nothing here by The Great Danes or The Black Labs? What have you got against dog bands? ;-)

    Full Disclosure: I've never liked Jimi much, and his only song I dig is 'All Along The Watchtower'. Nope, never liked his 'Hey, Joe', neither. And I had never heard another version of this song previously, so I wasn't expecting to dig this Battle too much. But I was wrong! First time I've been wrong since I was in Mexico all those years ago.

    The Tim Rose rendition wasn't exactly my mugga beer. There was just too much "There" there. (No, I don't know what that means, either.)

    But I sho-nuff dug the R&B treatment given to the song by WESS & THE AIREDALES.
    (Oh, "HEY, DEB"! I guess you DO like dog bands after all. Good to know!)

    And I also liked the background info you provided about the song. I learned a whole lot, including the fact that there was a band called Wess & The Airedales. Never heard of them before. (I must have been incarcerated in Mexico during the years that they were on the scene.)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen! Cool that you were wrong about the battle. ๐Ÿ˜€ I'm glad you liked Wess and the Airedales, but let me refresh your memory: You first met them exactly seven years ago today and said:
      "Stephen T. McCarthy says:
      APRIL 1, 2016 AT 1:21 PM
      DEBBIE ~
      Never heard of this band before but I liked both of these recordings. It sounds like a cross between Wilson Pickett and James Brown. Wilson Brown? Of the two though, I definitely liked ‘I’LL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON YOU’ best. Great, great horns on that!
      ~ D-FensDogG
      ‘Loyal American Underground’"
      LINK

      A vote for Wess & The Airedales!

      Delete
    2. "HEY, DEB!"

      Why do you keep using the same band over and over? Wess and the Airedales *TWICE* in seven years?! Sheesh, can't you come up with something different? I mean, how many times do you think your audience wants to keep hearing the same group in your Battle Of The Bands contests?

      {*HA!-HA! Well... the only reason I didn't remember having learned about Wess and the Airedales seven years ago is because... I was drunk in 2016. I'm also drunk in 2023. Which means you can use them again on April 1, 2030, and they will be new-to-me yet again. :-) }

      ~ Drunken D-FensDogG

      Delete
    3. Well, twice in seven years doesn't seem too frequent to me, especially if it's a good band! Just for that, I should use them again in the next battle! ๐Ÿ˜† Nah - that would seriously show a lack of imagination, but I'll pencil them in for April 1, 2030. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
    4. I look forward to discovering Wess & The Airdales for the first time again on April 1, 2030. ;-)

      Delete
    5. You're such a card, Stephen! (Or, should I say cad?) ๐Ÿ˜† Wess was a huge star in Italy and he and the Airedales recorded some smokin' covers. Here's another one:

      :youtube:6wVUwHmne34:eyoutube:

      Delete
    6. A Black woman singing "I'M A SOUL MAN" in 1968?!
      Somehow, that just seems so... 2023. :^D

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    7. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

      Delete
  5. I think I remember this song barely. Had no idea who did the original nor the backstory about Jimi. I always enjoy picking up these little nuggets along the way. I really dig Wess & the Aredales' s soul version and I was confident that this was who I'd go with but then I listened to the next contender. There was somethin' about Tim Rose rendition that pulled on my emotion. He sang the song in a way that made me feel the lyrics. Therefore, TIM ROSE gets my vote. :)

    Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you that we're watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels series and am enjoying it. He's really the character none of which I take seriously and honestly I don't think he is. How surprising to see him in a different light away from the makeup and stage persona. Thanks for tipping me off about it. Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I'm glad you enjoyed both covers, and it's nice to see another vote for Tim Rose. ☺

      Gene Simmons knows how to play to the cameras, doesn't he? It's a fun show, and I'm sure you'll enjoy all five seasons.

      Delete
  6. Ah this weather...SUCKS! lol. I somehow misses your battle so thanks for cluing me in on my blog. I actually like both versions and the 2nd one is more in keeping with Jimi's style but I like the 1st band. It's different so I'm going with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about the weather, Birgit! ๐Ÿ˜ Thanks for coming by - the turnout has been pretty sparse, this time around. Wess & The Airedales get another vote! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

      Delete
  7. Tim Rose gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Tim Rose. Thanks, Mike! ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž