BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: ROLLING IN THE DEEP #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

September 01, 2024

ROLLING IN THE DEEP #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

September already? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Time flies!



This battle features competing rock versions of an Adele song.

HISTORY

"Rolling in the Deep" is a song by English singer-songwriter Adele from her second studio album, 21. It is the lead single and opening track. Written by Adele and Paul Epworth, the singer herself describes it as a "dark blues-y gospel disco tune". In 2011, it was reportedly the biggest crossover hit in the United States since 1985; "Rolling in the Deep" gained radio airplay from many different formats. The lyrics describe the emotions of a scorned lover.


"Rolling in the Deep" received widespread critical acclaim with praise drawn towards the song's production, its lyrics, and Adele's vocal performance. It represented a commercial breakthrough for Adele, propelling her to global superstardom. The song topped the charts in twelve countries and reached the top 10 in over twenty territories. It was Adele's first number-one song in the United States, reaching the top spot on many Billboard charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 where it was number one for seven weeks.

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

GRETA VAN FLEET

Greta Van Fleet (est. 2012) is a young band out of Frankenmuth Michigan, which is bringing back the classic rock sound of the 1970s! In January 2018, they recorded "Rolling In The Deep" as part of the Spotify Singles program. To date, it has been played over 55 million times!


VS

BLACK STONE CHERRY

Black Stone Cherry (est. 2001) is a hard rock/southern rock/heavy metal band from Edmonton, Kentucky. They recorded a live cover of 'Rolling In The Deep' for their 'Won't Let Go' EP, released in May of 2012. To date, it has been played over 1.5 million times on Spotify.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, Sept. 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be Oct. 1st.

ROCK ON!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

IN THE MEANTIME, SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿป
 

23 comments:

  1. Greta Van Fleet for me. I prefer the over all musical style and the vocals far better than the other one.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to my surprise, I liked BSC best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VOTE = GRETA VAN FLEET

    Since I listened to this one (GVF) first, I thought I might choose the other one since the vocal was almost identical to Adele. But then I listened to Black Stone Cherry. OK. Not a thing like Adele. Fine. But, so shouty and off-key I honestly could barely get through it. I persisted, though! I thought, "Maybe they will have some kind of really cool transition or a brief drums and voices only bridge or something." Nope. So, yep. It is Greta Van Fleet for me. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Identical to Adele, for sure, yet a male singer. ☺ The second one was a live performance, which may account for the pitch issues. Unfortunately, no studio version seems to exist. GVF gets a second vote! Thanks, Ed.

      Delete
    2. Well, that is a bit embarrassing. I did not know. This is my first exposure to GVF. Sorry. That individual on the top of the picture in the video 'looked like' a female to me, so I rudely presumed. My bad.

      Delete
    3. Haha! No worries. I did a feature on them recently, and they were on my mind. ☺
      LINK: MY DATE WITH GRETA VAN FLEET

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie!

    It's a vote for Greta Van Fleet for me. Black Stone Cherry was just a little too heavy for the song.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Looks like GVF is taking a strong lead, so far.

      Delete
  5. I preferred Greta Van Fleet as well. I don't get into all that heavy guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for GVF I'm sensing a blowout might be in the offing! Thanks, John!

      Delete
  6. Greta's version reminds me so much of Adele's. I like the crack in the female lead singer but over all I I prefer Black Stone Cherry. Why? I think because it has a fresher sound to my ears and the male vocals resonate better with me generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, thanks for popping over to my other site. I appreciate that!

      Delete
    2. Yay! Another vote for Black Stone Cherry! ☺ Unfortunately, Greta Van Fleet (which is an all-male band, BTW) is way ahead. Thanks, Cathy!

      Delete
  7. Greta gets my vote. I loveher husky voiced version much better than the heavy metal style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greta's going to win this, hands down! The singer is actually a male, though. ☺

      Delete
  8. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

    Only twice in my entire life have I heard a song that I immediately hated but later learned to love or like. #1) 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree' by Brenda Lee (LOVE it!); #2) 'White Christmas' by The Drifters (like it a lot).

    Coincidence that the only two Hates 2 Love or Like-A-Lot were Christmas songs? Hmmm.... I dunno. Maybe.

    But the number of songs that I was ambivalent about the first time I heard them and later grew to like them is... countless.

    I don't recall ever having heard the song 'Rolling In The Mud-- er, Deep' before. As I told Mr. Six yesterday in my own comment section, I haven't listened to Rock radio since 1985. And, to me, this song has no "There" there (to borrow a famous saying). Maybe it would grow on me with repeated listening, but for now... it kind of leaves me feeling & thinking... nuttin'. I don't hear anything new or special.

    I HAVE heard some Greta Van Fleet songs before (probably because of BOTB), and they're OK, I guess, for a Led Zeppelin imitator. But when it comes to Black Stone Cherry... what Ed said: "so shouty and off-key". To which I will add: Get a job!

    My vote goes to Greta Van Zeppelin.

    I asked Judge Al Bondigas which he'd rule for and he said, "Believe it or not... I guess the first one."
    I replied, "Welcome to the club".

    ~ Stephen Van Gogh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this battle is obviously a bust! ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ That's 2 more votes for Greta, albeit unenthusiastic ones. ๐Ÿ˜† Speaking as a Led Zeppelin fan, I actually love this band. These young guys are reviving the classic hard rock genre! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

      Delete
  9. The glasses of water in Adele's video are quite a visual. I've always liked her vocals. Greta Van Fleet is close so she gets my vote ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh...Talk about a blowout! ๐Ÿ˜† Greta (which is a band, consisting of four young guys in their 20s) remains the favourite here. Thanks, diedre!

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I like Greta's better.
    Thanks, Debbie. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn. I might as well write the results post now, eh? Greta can do no wrong.

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž