BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: SUMMER OF '69 #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

July 01, 2024

SUMMER OF '69 #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

 July already?! Summer will be over before we know it!

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

[Links to related material in red]

The title of this song resonates strongly, since my 'Summer of 69' was pretty epic:
- visited Berlin and London 
July - watched the first moon landing on TV
August - relocated from Germany to Canada

HISTORY


"Summer of '69" is a song recorded by Canadian singer Bryan Adams from his fourth album, Reckless. It is an up-tempo rock song about a dilemma between settling down or trying to become a rock star.

The track was written by Adams and his longtime songwriting collaborator Jim Vallance. It was released in June 1985 under A&M Records as the fourth single from the album. 

According to later claims by Adams, the title is a reference to the sex position, not the year, but Vallance disputes this. ๐Ÿ˜†

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

CHAD KROEGER & RYAN PEAKE OF NICKELBACK


"Summer of '69"was performed by fellow Canadian rockers Chad Kroeger and Ryan Peake of Nickelback as part of Bryan Adams' and Jim Vallance's induction into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame on Saturday, September 24, 2022 at Toronto's Massey Hall.

VS

BUCKCHERRY


California rockers Buckcherry released their tenth studio album, "Vol. 10", in June 2023. The 11-song LP features 10 originals and, as a bonus track, a cover of "Summer Of 69".

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, July 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be Aug. 1st.

ROCK ON and HAPPY SUMMER!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

IN THE MEANTIME, SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿป
 

27 comments:

  1. You summer of '69 was a wild one, girl! I love that you tied your battle to your memories with your song pick. This is an easy one for me. I'm giving my vote to Chad Kroeger. & Ryan Peake. The vocals appealed to me the most. The second band is good but didn't grab me like the first one. Great battle, great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty crazy, for sure! ☺ Glad you enjoyed the battle, Cathy. First vote goes to Chad and Ryan.

      Delete
  2. I love this song. The first time I heard Bryan Adams, I was 12 and he is 10 years older than me. I had the hugest crush on him and have seen him live more times than I can count. I have never heard these covers, but I think they're awesome. Overall, though, I have to choose Bryan Adams. ๐ŸŒบHope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kymber ๐Ÿ‘‹ Thanks for checking out the battle, but Bryan isn't part of it. That was for reference only. Please come back and choose one of the contenders.

      Delete
    2. I'm here! LOLOL

      This was a hard one, because I like them both. But I'm voting for Chad Kroeger and Ryan Peake.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for coming back! ๐Ÿ’– Chad and Ryan for Kymber.

      Delete
  3. I've always liked this song. At first I thought I was going to vote for Chad & Ryan because the vocals were so close to Bryan Adams, but Buckcherry won me over in the end. My vote goes to Buckcherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad and Ryan did stick pretty close to the original. Thanks for voting, Mary. Buckcherry, it is.

      Delete
  4. He can dispute it, but when Bryan sings, "Me and my baby did a... " kinda puts that in doubt. Never a fave of mine, I'll come back to listen later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three days later, lol... Gimmie BuckCherry for the originality they tried to inject. And for getting Jimmy and Jody in the right order...

      Delete
    2. Haha! Yeah, I forgot about the end bit. ☺ I'm not a huge Bryan Adams fan, but that song resonates with me mostly because of the title. As mentioned, it was an epic summer! Another vote for Buckcherry. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You bad girl you..lol. what did you do to get kick out of boarding school? I remember the moon landing even though I wad just 5 yrs old. I was watching Bugs Bunny and my brother came in and changed the channel to the moon landing. I had no care about that, I wanted my Bugs back. My brother was trying to reason with me why it's good to watch thos but, I was not having it. I cried and wanted my Bugs bunny! I'm voting for Nickelback singers who really knew how to make this song a real winner so they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can click on the red link above to read what happened Birgit. ☺ I was framed.

      Funny story about wanting to watch Bugs, but when you're 5, who cares about serious stuff? Another vote for Nickelback's frontmen. Thanks!

      Here's the link to the story again:
      Got Expelled from Boarding School

      Delete
    2. BIRGIT ~
      *YOU* had the right idea, even though you were only 5 years old, because Bugs Bunny was more real than the Moon landing!
      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    3. Stephen, my friend, this is a music forum. Why are we dredging up theories about the moon landing here? I believe they were debunked long ago, but regardless, this isn't the time or place. Thanks for your cooperation! ☮️

      Delete
    4. Oops! I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to stray onto any subjects aside from the strictly musical. Sorry. I shirley won't make that mistake again.

      ~ Ol' Laser-Beam-Eye DogG

      Delete
    5. Thanks! Feel free to debate the issue privately, if you feel strongly about it. ✌️

      Delete
  6. VOTE = BUCKCHERRY

    I liked the extra dose of energy and driving guitars/drums in Buckcherry's version. Chad/Ryan was a pretty true homage to Bryan Adams, which is fine, but I always like a little something different when I hear covers. Also, my mom's maiden name was Cherry, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All noble reasons to vote for Buckcherry! ☺ Thank you, Ed.

      Delete
  7. DEBBIE, DEBBIE, MY FAVORITE DOGLADY! ~

    >>... *Summer will be over before we know it!*

    Oh, if only that were true!
    Where I live, "the dog days of Summer" don't even begin until September. I loved Summer when I was young and spent almost all of it surfing the ocean waves.
    But just like me,
    Summer ain't what it used to be.

    >>... *According to later claims by Adams, the title is a reference to the sex position, not the year*

    Yeah, yeah, sure, sure! I was born, but NOT yesterday!

    Napoleon (or Nappy, or Judge Al Bondigas) was in the living room while I was playing these songs, so I axed him for a rulin'. He said he liked the drummer in Buckcherry, but still preferred the Chad Kroeger & Ryan Peake version.

    Buckcherry? I prefer BuckNekid.

    I don't make no rulin's as I ain't no kinda judge, but I do cast votes, and I am casting my vote for Chad & Jeremy-- er... I meant, Chad & Ryan.

    ~ Stephen-Boy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winters always seem very long here, although they are getting milder. Our summers are getting hotter too, and stretching into October, but I love that! Only the songwriters know the true meaning of their lyrics, but it's fun to speculate. Two votes for Chad and Ryan. Thank you, Stephen and Nappy/Judge Al!

      Delete
  8. I preferred the one by the Nickelback guys. The other was a little too rave-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad and Ryan it is! "Rave-up" is a fun term. ☺

      Delete
  9. One or the other, they were both good. I'll give my vote to the first one--the Nickelback duo.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by to vote, Lee! Another one for Chad and Ryan.

      Delete
  10. Perfect song for any great summer - especially one as fab as yours ;-) Nickelback for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a memorable summer! ☺ This song always makes me think back to it. Another vote for Chad and Ryan. Thanks, diedre!

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž