BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: OOWATANITE - APRIL WINE
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

April 01, 2024

OOWATANITE - APRIL WINE

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

 It's April and spring should hurry up already! We had snow last week. ๐Ÿฅถ


This battle features a duel between Canadian and South African rock bands.

HISTORY

April Wine is a Canadian rock band formed in 1969 and based in HalifaxNova Scotia. They have experienced only moderate international success, but huge popularity in their home country.

Their greatest response internationally throughout the 1970s and early '80s came with songs such as, "You Could Have Been a Lady" (1972), "Tonite Is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love" (1975), "Roller" (1979), "I Like to Rock" (1980), "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" (1981), and "Just Between You and Me" (1981).

April Wine has released 16 studio albums. "Oowatanite" is the first track from their 4th album, Stand Back, released in 1975. It became the first album by a Canadian band to achieve platinum sales.

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

THE DIRTY NIL


The Dirty Nil is a Canadian rock band formed in Hamilton, Ontario in 2006, who won the Juno Award for Breakthrough Group of the Year in 2017. The band released 4 studio albums between 2016 and 2023. 
"Oowatanite" is the first of two tracks from their digital album, "You're Welcome II", released in 2019.

VS

CLOUT


Clout was a South African rock group formed in Johannesburg in 1977, best known for their hit single, "Substitute". It reached No. 67 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Originally all-female, the group later included some male members, who had played as session musicians on the recording.  

A major success in Europe, Clout scored more Top 10 singles, notably "Save Me", "You've Got All of Me" and "Under Fire". They split up in 1981.
"Oowatanite" is the 1st track from their album, "Six Of The Best", released in 1979.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, April 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be May 1st.

ROCK ON!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! 
 

16 comments:

  1. Never heard of this song. I think I would have remembered this one.

    I'm going with the first one--Dirty Nil. Better sound to me and they're from Hamilton.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got a lot of airplay here and still does, on the Classic Rock stations. You know Hamilton, Lee? It's just down the highway from me. ☺ First vote goes to Dirty Nil. P.S. Best wishes for another successful A to A Challenge! I featured it in my latest blog post at The Doglady's Den.

      Delete
  2. This is a new one on me. There's something to like about both cover artists but I preferred easily the sound of Dirty Nil and am casting my vote for them! Thanks for dropping by to vote in my latest BOTB. Have a bandtastic week, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for the Dirty Nil. Thanks Cathy! ☺

      Delete
  3. I remember April Wine, but am not overly familiar with their songs. I'm going to check them out further now that my musical tastes have broadened.

    Enjoyed the battle and I really liked Dirty Nil. They get my vote!

    Happy Spring cleaning and I hope the weather improves soon.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had some good tunes and Classic Rock radio stills plays them a lot here in Canada. Glad you enjoyed the battle, Mary! Another vote for the Dirty Nil. I hate cleaning and yard work, but they are necessary evils.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize April Wine did this song, but I like it. I like the vocals of the ladies from Clout best. Funny they remind me more of another band from Canada ;-) Fun battle, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! At last we have a vote for Clout. ☺ Are you thinking of Heart, diedre? They became famous after moving to Canada, but actually hail from Seattle.

      Delete
  5. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

    I actually remember hearing about April Wine. I never owned anything by them, but I undoubtedly saw some of their LPs in record stores I haunted, and I seem to recall maybe reading a review about one of their albums in an ancient issue of Creem or Circus magazine when I was a teenager.

    OOWATANITE is a song I probably would have liked back in that era of "Licorice Pizza", but which doesn't "ring my bell" (see what I did there?) now in my old age. It makes me think of the Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep-ish stuffs I used to blast back then and drive my parents nutty until they'd yell, "Turn that DOWN!"

    There's no way I can vote for The Dirty Nil. Because that was almost a note-for-note copy of the April Wine original (except shorter). They didn't even attempt to make the cover rendition their own in some way.

    When the Clout version started, immediately I thought: Who is Debbie kidding here?! I know damn good and well that's Geddy Lee singing! What, was he moonlighting with a bunch of women when Rush wasn't on tour or in the studio?

    Well, Clout made the song sound a wee bit more POP-like. And I guess it's OK if a singer sounds just like Geddy Lee, so long as the singer really *IS* a female. Therefore, I'll cast my "bote" for Clout. (Or, 'Geddy Lee & The Johannesburg Babes'.)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Uriah Heep! Thin Lizzy, not as much... I never would have made the connection to Geddy Lee, whose reedy vocals I can't stand! I think the Clout singer has a much stronger voice, and it's nice to see them get another vote. Thank you, Stephen. ☺

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard this song in a while! It's a great one..I had to listen to both a couple of times but I am giving this to the 1st band because they sound a bit more polished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still play it a lot on 97.7 HTZ.FM (in your city) and Q107, along with all the other April Wine songs. Another vote for The Dirty Nil. Thanks Birgit!

      Delete
  7. I heard this song and Clout's version of it this week, and really likeed it. I'll go with them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! Glad you like the song, John. Thanks for voting. Clout, it is!

      Delete
  8. The rumor that your current battle featured a great song sung in the excellent style of RUSH reached my ears, so I had to venture out of my usual very limited BOTB paths to check it out and see.

    Clout does indeed have a very "Rush-like" sound to them: the vocals are excellent! If Geddy Lee had fallen into an open manhole, Lifeson and Peart could have grabbed the Clout girl and continued prog-rockin'. I offer an enthusiastic vote for Geddy Lee, er, CLOUT! (And this is not just poking McCarthy... I really like it.)

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm surprised to see another comparison to Geddy Lee. (Sorry, I'm not a Rush fan and think the Clout singer has a better voice). Regardless, thanks for coming by and giving your enthusiastic vote to Clout! I'm sure Stephen will comment at some point. ☺

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž