BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: VEHICLE - THE IDES OF MARCH #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

March 01, 2024

VEHICLE - THE IDES OF MARCH #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

It's March already! One step closer to spring. 

This battle features an American Idol runner-up and an American-born Italian singer.

HISTORY

"Vehicle" is the debut studio album by American jazz-rock band  The Ides of March, released in 1970. The first track, "Vehicle", became the fastest selling single in Warner's history, after which the band was hustled into the studio to record a full album. Vehicle's songs range through many genres including rock, pop, soul and folk.


(If you like classic cars, you'll enjoy this video! ๐Ÿš˜) 

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

BO BICE 

Harold Elwin "Bo" Bice Jr. (born November 1, 1975) is an American singer and musician from Alabama who was the runner-up against Carrie Underwood in the fourth season of American Idol (2005)He was also the lead singer of Blood, Sweat & Tears from 2013 until 2018.

Prior to auditioning for American Idol, Bice released a solo album as well as a few albums with his bands while performing on the night club circuit.

Bo first performed "Vehicle" on AI in 2005, and subsequently released it as a single that same year, featuring guitarist Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi).

VS

WESS & THE AIREDALES

The many incarnations of Wess & the Airedales started in 1961 in the US, when founder Doug Fowlkes fronted his Airedales band, recording a solitary 45 on the Viva label. More singles followed with singer Rocky Roberts at the helm, and things continued despite his relocation to Italy due to military service.

The band inevitably took on some Italian members, and in 1967, Italian vocalist and bassist Wess Johnson (originally from North Carolina) took over from Roberts. The American influence is obvious, as the band performed and released many more LPs, Eps and 45s of American-style Soul music – sung in English and Italian!

"Vehicle" is the 1st track from their 6th studio album, also called Vehicle, released in 1972.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, Mar. 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be April 1st.

ROCK ON!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! 
 

25 comments:

  1. Both versions are good and true to the spirit of the original hit. For the purpose of voting though, I've got to give mine to Bo Bice. Some great guitar work.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First vote goes to Bo, (and guitarist Richie Sambora). Thanks, Lee!

      Delete
  2. Great old song to feature! Bo did a good job but his voice didn't smash it out of the park for me. The guitar work is incredible, though. It was contender #2 that is best to my ear. I'm giving my vote Wess and the Airedales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vote for Wess and his Airedales. Thanks, Cathy!

      Delete
  3. I don't know... I call a toss up.... Laurie liked #2, so give our vote to the Airedales! (Which, of course, Misty would vote for...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both great. You made a very interesting battle! I am giving it to Bo...the first dude. I'm glad he has kept going despite being #2 in Idol I remember him and thought he and his hair, should win. He has a unique voice. How are ya liking this crazy weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Bo! I was rooting for him to win AI as well. Love the hair. ☺ Weird weather, for sure!

      Delete
  5. These were so closeto the original (though not as close as Leonid & Friends' version), but I'm going to go with Bo Bice's cover. I like the guitar better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! Another vote for Bo (and Richie). I looked for Leonid & Friends. That IS a close cover. Good stuff!

      :youtube:fX8g_JEJol8:eyoutube:

      Delete
    2. LOVE Leonid & Friends!

      Delete
    3. First time I've heard them. Very good!

      Delete
  6. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

    Great song! I've loved it since the first time I ever heard it... on some date in 1970.

    1970! What a year for music! Venus, Vehicle, The Thrill Is Gone, Green-Eyed Lady, Spirit In The Sky, Hey Lawdy Mama... just for starters.

    I doubt that anyone could screw up this song, so naturally I liked both versions real well. The Bo Bice (never heard of him?) was more guitar-centric and otherwise sounded pert-dern like the Ides Of March original. Real goot guitar, though.

    WESS & THE AIREDALES (whom I know you've used before in BOTB and whom I've voted for) was slightly different from the original and, to me, sounded almost like Chicago doing 'Vehicle' (i.e., a bit more horny ;-)

    Nut'n wrong with either cover, but I side slightly with Wess & his Big Dogs.

    Judge Al made a rulin' for The Big Dogs, too.

    Great Song, Great Battle!!

    ~ STMcC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 1970 was one of the best years ever for music! Bo Bice was runner-up to Carrie Underwood on American Idol in 2005. That real goot guitar came from Richie Sambora, of Bon Jovi fame. Wess is a favourite of mine from way back, when I was living in Europe. Nice to see a couple of votes for him from you and the Judge. Thank you, Stephen!

      Delete
  7. Bo gets my voice. Because he's hot and has that special something (i.e., he's hot). Ha. I really liked him on AI, so I'm glad you brought him back. I do feel as though he gives this song the energy it deserves. The other version sounds less enthused to me. Plus, Bo's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I was a huge Bo Bice fan and wanted him to win AI. Sadly, only two rockers have ever won that show. Another vote for Bo, the hottie! ☺

      Delete
  8. Close one but Bo gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. VOTE = Bo Bice

    Tough choice! Both versions had excellent vocals and horns. I think it may have boiled down to Richie Sambora's guitar, actually. Both versions were certainly true to the original. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked both versions, and that it was a tough choice, Ed. ☺ Sign of a good battle, yes? Another vote for Bo (and of course, Richie) Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Close one, but I vote for Bo - and his hair ;-) (couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bo and his hair are equally popular, it seems! ☺ Thanks, diedre.

      Delete
  11. Excellent battle, Debbie! Loved the energy of the song. I am way over this winter junk. I'm about to say let's skip spring and get right into summer.

    Really enjoyed both versions, but Bo Bice seemed to really sink his teeth into it and give it his all.

    My vote goes to Bo Bice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I'd be happy to get right into summer, any time! ☺ I'm glad you enjoyed the battle. Bo get another vote!

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž