BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: JULY #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

July 01, 2023

JULY #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

    
This site is dedicated to Battle of the Bands exclusively.

♫ Today, I'm going with contemporary music, for a change.
Sometimes, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. ♫
And, it's perfect for this month! ๐Ÿ˜‰
In fact, I plan on going with month-themed songs for the rest of the year. 

HISTORY

"JULY" is a song by American singer/actor Noah Cyrus, released as the lead single from her second EP, The End of Everything, through Columbia Records on July 31, 2019.


Noah Lindsey Cyrus (born January 8, 2000) made her debut as a singer in 2016 with the single "Make Me (Cry)" featuring Labrinth. It peaked at number 46 on the Billboard Hot 100. 

She has released three EPs and her first full-length album, The Hardest Part, came out on September 16, 2022. In 2021, Cyrus was nominated for Best New Artist at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards.


One of six siblings, Noah has three brothers and two sisters, (Miley being the most famous). She is the youngest child of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus.

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

MICKY

Not much is known about Micky, but according to his YouTube Channel, he's a musician from the UK. He also has a Facebook Page and a TikTok channel.

This is his "official" version of July, released in 2021:


VS

FINNIAN JOHNSON

Finnian Johnson is a young country singer who was a contestant on The Voice Australia in 2022. He performed "July" for his blind audition and made it as far as the battle rounds.

Like Micky, not much else is known, but you can see his social connections (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook etc. ) on LINKTREE


On May 11 this year, Finnian released his official recording of "July", which has had almost 90,000 plays on Spotify.


VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, July 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be Aug. 1st.

ROCK ON!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! 
 

19 comments:

  1. Such a nice song. I've seen Noah on TV a few times and she's good.

    The two guys doing Battle here are both good, but I prefer Micky's voice. Give my vote to him.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Noah for the first time last year and agree; she is good! The initial vote goes to Micky. Thanks, Lee!

      Delete
  2. I really like Micky's voice. To be honest it reminds me a bit of Bradley Cooper's voice. Regardless, it sou ds better to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Micky. Thanks, Birgit!

      Delete
  3. Happy Canada Day, Debbie!

    Hope you are having a great day today.
    I've not heard this song before, but it's a good fit for this month. I actually preferred Finnan's version. His voice come across much clearer and a bit more pleasant to the ears.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I hope you had a good July 4th weekend. ☺ Finnian gets his first vote.

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJuly 02, 2023

    Finnian sounds like he captured the essence of the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous - please come back and tell me who you are. ☺ Finnian gets another vote; thanks!

      Delete
  5. Geez, I'm blind today, took me a minute to find the 'enter comment'! Anyway, while instrumentally the second one was better, I paid attention to Micky while doing other things but not finnian so Micky's my guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mentioned that in a previous post too, Chris. I hope it's not something wrong with the blog site. Anyway, thanks for persevering. Micky get another vote!

      Delete
    2. No, definitely me!

      Delete
  6. Debbie,

    I love the idea of your theme! I haven't had the pleasure to listen to much of Noah's music but what I've heard over the years I've enjoyed. She was on America Idol this year coaching the contestants. I listened to your contenders in this round and enjoyed both vocalists. Normally, I think I would go with Micky. He has a bit of grit that I like. He used his head voice too much and I wondered what it would sound like if he stayed in the lower register. That's what Finnian did. He kept his vocals simple and pure singing in a way that captures the heart. Please give my vote for Mr. Downunder! Thanks for sharing two new talents in this BOTB's installment. :) Have a bandtastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! ☺ Yes, I saw Noah on American Idol too and think she's super talented. Another vote for Finnian. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I'd heard Miley had a talented sibling. Thanks for the introduction, now I'm impressed. Both contenders for the song are good. When it comes to personifying a heartrending situation, Finnian's voice did it for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Musical talent sure runs in that family, doesn't it? ☺ Another vote for the heartrending Finnian. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. HiYa, DEBBIE D'DOGLADY! ~

    I never heard this song before. (I'll bet that comes as a huge shock to ya, eh?)

    I also never heard of Billy Ray Cyrus nor Miley Cyrus.
    (Well... maybe I had, but I managed to kick them outta my mind. Where I come from we call that giving someone "the Wally". Who's Wally? Trust me, you don't wanna know!)

    This was a tough Battle for me. (BOTB-speak: "tough" = "good".) I preferred the vocals by Micky but preferred the musical approach (simple piano) by Finnian Johnson. So to make sure I got this right, I listened to BOTH SONGS TWICE.

    In the 1980s, I had a dog named Mickie. I can describe Mickie in a single word: crazy.

    Oh, and by the way, I am voting for MICKY.
    I liked his ragged "lonesome dog" voice.

    My Brother, the Judge Al Bondigas, happened to be in the room when I was listening to these songs, so I axed him which one he liked better and he immediately started singing:

    There was an old man named Michael McFinnegan
    He grew whiskers on his chinnegan
    Along came the wind and blew them back in again
    Poor old Michael McFinnegan, begin again.


    That's an old kiddie song we used to sing when we were kiddies.
    And I feel 100% certain that you can count this as the Judge's rulin' for FINNIAN JOHNSON.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen! ☺ One vote for Micky and his "lonesome dog" voice and I'm going to add in Judge Al's vote for Finnian. Thanks, you two!

      Delete
  9. Great job with this fun and creative page, Debbie. So glad I discovered it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! ☺ Nice to see you here too.

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž