BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: FIRST OF MAY #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

May 01, 2023

FIRST OF MAY #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

 
This site is dedicated to Battle of the Bands exclusively.

♫ Today's showdown features two formidable females,
covering a tune by a famous trio of brothers. ♫ And, it's perfect for this date! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

HISTORY

"First of May" is a song by the Bee Gees with lead vocals by Barry Gibb, released as a single from their 1969 double album Odessa. Its B-side was "Lamplight". It also featured as the B-side of "Melody Fair" when that song was released as a single in the Far East in 1971 as well as in 1976 and 1980 on RSO Records.


"First of May" debuted at #55 in Cash Box magazine charts the week of March 22nd 1969. It was described as a "low-key love ballad with the same mystic quality that has proved captivating in the team's work" with "hypnotic arrangements" and a "singular vocal sound." - WIKIPEDIA

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

MARI WILSON

Mari Macmillan Ramsay Wilson (born 29 September 1954, Neasden, London) is a British pop and jazz singer. She is best known for her 1982 UK top-10 hit single "Just What I Always Wanted" and her 1960s image complete with beehive hairstyle.


In 2012, Mari recorded and co-produced an album of her favourite songs, entitled “Cover Stories”, which included “First of May” as the sixth track.

VS

CILLA BLACK

Priscilla Maria Veronica White OBE (27 May 1943 – 1 August 2015), better known as Cilla Black, was an English singer and television presenter, born in Liverpool.   

Championed by her friends, the Beatles, Black began her career as a singer in 1963. Her singles "Anyone Who Had a Heart" and "You're My World" both reached number one in the UK in 1964.  She had 11 top 10 hits on the UK Singles Chart between then and 1971, and an additional eight hits that made the top 40.

First of May” is the sixth track from Cilla’s sixth studio album, “Images”, released in 1971. It was a change in direction for Black, with a more contemporary pop sound.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, May 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden

Next Battle on this site will be June 1st.

ROCK ON!

Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB


 

15 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    This is the first time for me to hear this song. I like both female covers over the original and I like the Bee Gees but hearing it women do it is a better fit. I had to listen to both covers a couple of times that's how much I liked them. I'm giving my vote to MARI WILSON. Her vocals are mellow sounding, like a lullaby. Cilia's is close to this but her voice is a bit higher pitched and she loses that warm lullaby quality whereas Mari owns it. I love the idea of your song choice to kick off the First of May. Can you believe it's May so soon? Not me! Have a terrific week and please feel free to link your battle up with the 4M party! ;)

    A Song for You BOTB Showdown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting things off with a vote for Mari. It's a little scary how quickly time flies, Cathy. That said, I'm sure glad winter is OVER! ☺ Thanks for the link up invite, but I'm having trouble keeping up with online stuff, as usual. Actually, more than usual, since hubby had surgery end of April to replace his wonky left knee. Between nursing duties, housework, cooking, Dr. appointments, etc. there aren't enough hours in the day. Thanks for your undying support, despite all! ♥

      Delete
  2. That Bee Gees "Odessa" album was such a great one. My mother had it on 8 track cartridge shortly after it was released. I used to listen to that a lot.

    Mari Wilson does such a beautiful job with this song. But so does Cilla Black.

    I'm going with Cilla on this one.

    Lee


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the Odessa album and still have my original British vinyl record. I think you're the only other person familiar with this song, Lee! ☺ A vote for Cilla.

      Delete
  3. DEBBIE ~

    Howdy, Good Morning, & Stuffs like that.

    Both of these recordings are new to me. But then I'm pretty new too (only 63 years young), so this isn't surprising.

    This one was actually a pretty easy decision for me to make. I definitely preferred the CILLA BLACK version. It was a bit more up-tempo, seemed like it had more *life* to it, and her vocal approach seemed warmer and more genuinely heart-felt. At least according my young ears.

    By comparison, the Mari Wilson rendition just seemed draggy and dreary. However, I might try it the next time I'm suffering from one of my occasional bouts of insomnia.
    ;-)

    Get you a wonderful day, DEBBIE!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Stephen, you are a young one, at least compared to me (68)! I admire your thorough analysis of Cilla's version. Thanks for always making the comments interesting! Another vote for Cilla.

      Delete
  4. Oh my...this is a toughie! Do I like yellow roses more than pink roses. I had never heard of this song which seems sad on some way. I actually am going for the first gal, Mari Wilson because I love how she made it into a beautiful ballad. Cilla does a great job too but I am leaning leaning to the voice of Mari who seems to have a bit of a stronger voice. Again which rose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, I'm surprised you don't know this song, but I guess it was a much bigger hit in Europe than here. Thanks for coming by to vote! Mari Wilson, it is.

      Delete
  5. I'm going with Cillia. As odd as it may seem, I liked her gentle treatment of the underrated BeeGees song to the more powerful vocal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by to vote, Chris! Another one for Cilla.

      Delete
  6. Hi Debbie!
    A great song for May as we ease out of April. While Mari Wilson set a more festive mood, I preferred Cilla’s soothing vocals; warm like a hug, yet crisp like the apples she sings about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi diedre, I'm glad you like the song. I thought I was being so clever, given the date. ☺ Another vote for the warm, yet crisp Cilla. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  7. Testing, testing - is this thing on?? Only 6 comments so far. Comments are working fine, so
    :img:https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiWKa9BYNKtc8kOpQRfHWts7gPHR-9CHGlIt0s6mNkP0ri57r0lOM9w60FkyudfKijYLyX0kL0QbwW8RW9Cfx2dHL5yTGjaeDbJ-lbSJLdtLWhCCo8lmR52yJIP4WEX7y3tFVMvv4HPjwbs42qA829XTsGvLN05H2Pm4cq1q0q_KvENAD78tZiS9xxqQg/s320/why%20bitmoji.png" width="320":eimg:

    ReplyDelete
  8. My responses seemed kind of low too, but they seem like they have been dropping for the past few years. Maybe time to try to gather new followers? Wish I knew the easy answer. But I've been trying to build up a steady audience for 14 years now.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some people are blogged-out after doing the A to Z Challenge, Lee. I admire your stamina! It does seem that blogging activity has declined quite a bit. I can't seem to keep it going, either. Finding new participants is a tough sell, I fear. At least you have plenty of followers, since you're a famous online entity. ☺

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž