BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: FOR THE GOOD TIMES - R.I.P. KRIS KRISTOFFERSON ๐ŸŒน #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

October 01, 2024

FOR THE GOOD TIMES - R.I.P. KRIS KRISTOFFERSON ๐ŸŒน #BOTB

WELCOME TO ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF #BOTB!

Can you believe it's October already? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
The nice weather will end for us soon, but so far, it's still warm. ๐Ÿคž


Sadly, the music world has lost another icon,
 with the passing of Kris Kristofferson on Sept. 28 at the age of 88. ๐Ÿ˜ข

This battle features two famous crooners covering his hit "For The Good Times".
Yes, it's DINO vs FRANK! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

HISTORY

"For the Good Times" is a song written by Kris Kristofferson, first recorded by Bill Nash in 1968, before appearing on Kristofferson's own debut album in June 1970. After a recording by Ray Price became a #1 hit single that year, the song established Kristofferson as one of country and popular music's top songwriters, while giving Price his first chart-topping country and western song in 11 years.


Kristofferson wrote most of the song in 1968. It recounts the end of a love affair, based on a real life experience of his, in a manner that popular music scholar Steve Sullivan said "conveys sadness, acceptance, and longing".  At the 1971 Academy of Country Music awards, "For the Good Times" won in the category of "Song of the Year" (for Kristofferson as composer) and "Single of the Year" (for Price).

[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

DEAN MARTIN

Dean Martin recorded "For The Good Times" as the first track from his 1971 album of the same name. The initial Billboard review commented that "Dean Martin is an old timer who knows how to make time with the new crop of writers".


VS

FRANK SINATRA

Frank Sinatra's 62nd studio album, Trilogy, Past, Present & Future, contains his version of "For the Good Times" on side 4, under "Present". The triple album was released in 1980 and includes his final hit, "New York, New York". 

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, Oct. 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be Nov. 1st.

ROCK ON!


Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

IN THE MEANTIME, SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿป
 

10 comments:

  1. I really like Sinatra a lot and same with Dino. I think Dean always did a better job with country flavored songs and I think this is the case here. Frank's version borders on weird to me. I vote for Dean Martin who puts so much feeling into the song.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. VOTE = DEAN MARTIN

    Generally, I will almost always vote for Frank over Dino, but in this case I think Dean does it better; although I actually think Ray Price's version is even better. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going with Dean Martin. He knows how to sing a country song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEBBIE D'DOGLADY ~

    Great song! I've never liked Kris Kristofferson's singing (he's always sounded "flat" to me), but that dude could definitely write a great song!

    My Pa loved Dean's singing. I never really "got it" until I heard him singing a duet with Jerry Lewis. Lewis sang the first part, and then when Dino came in... he sounded *amazing* to me! :-)

    I think BOTH of these versions are good. I probably like Sinatra's slightly slower & slightly sadder version... EXCEPT for when the background singers come in. That kind of spoils it for me, because I think the song is supposed to sound lonely - a lone man's confessional outlook. The additional singers kind of mess that up. So, my vote goes to solo DINO!

    My brother, "Judge Al Bondigas" (the English way of saying "Judge Meatball"), normally dislikes Sinatra immensely. But in this case, he said that it was the "backup singers" in Sinatra's version that swayed him to "rule" for OL' BLUE EYES over Dino. That rulin' definitely caught me by surprise! I now suspect that one of us was adopted into the family because the DNA don't seem to match real good-like.

    1 vote for DINO.
    1 rulin' for THE GODFATHER's chosen son.

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer Dean Martin over Frankie. I didn't care for Sinatra's arrangement so Dino gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll vote for Dean Martin. I like the sound of his voice better, and I've liked some of his other songs, too. Never much cared for Sinatra. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, not anon. - this is Barbara (ghost)

      Delete
  7. I'm surprising myself by choosing Dean Martin over Frank Sinatra. I normally like backup singers but - ugh, not here. Dean's version was so heartfelt and was supported by how the music sounded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dean wins hands down for me. Sinatra's sounds too...Sinatra. Martin's sounds more genuine and heart-wrenching to me.
    As for Kris K, what an out-of-this-world phenomenal soul he was/is. He actually performed for an annual fundraiser for an adoptions agency I worked for. Very kind and humble human. Such a bright light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome photo out front, Debbie! The world lost a wonderful songwriter, for sure. And an all-around nice guy it seems. I didn't know he wrote this song but it's the one my dad always sang at the end of a long night playing at the bar on Black Mountain, which I hope has survived the east coat storms. Anyway, I dug up an old CD just to hear my dad's voice ;-) He'd give either contestant a run for their money - but I'm voting for Dean Martin, whose voice made my heart go "Whoa,"
    Excellent match-up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž