BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: THIS WILL BE OUR YEAR #BOTB
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

January 01, 2024

THIS WILL BE OUR YEAR #BOTB

WELCOME TO THE FIRST BOTB OF 2024!



Featuring a battle between rock and indie pop bands.

HISTORY

"This Will Be Our Year" is the ninth track from the acclaimed album “Odessey and Oracle" by English rock band The Zombies, released in 1968. It was also released as a single in the US. 


More than most other songs, “This Will Be Our Year” leans heavily on the strength of its refrain. It’s one thing to say, “This will be our year.” It’s the second part of the line that gives the first so much weight: “took a long time to come.” 


Is it any wonder that this song has become a favorite, not just for people getting set to celebrate a new year, but also for those getting set to embark upon a new life as a married couple?  


[Reference only. NOT eligible for voting!]

On to the contest!

FOO FIGHTERS

Foo Fighters are an American rock band formed in Seattle in 1994 by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl."This Will Be Our Year" is the second track of their limited edition LP, Medium Rare, released in 2011.

VS

THE MYNABIRDS

The Mynabirds are an American indie pop band founded by singer-songwriter and pianist Laura Burhenn in 2009. "This Will Be Our Year" is the second track from their EP, All I Want Is Truth (For Christmas), released in 2010.

VOTE NOW!

Please state your preference in comments below and why you chose it.

Voting remains open until 11:59 pm, Jan. 7th, after which I will count the votes, add mine and publish the results.

These are the other BOTB regulars and semi-regulars. Please cruise on by their sites and, if they have a post up, vote on their selections as well: [Check back – there’s no set posting time]

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden


Next Battle on this site will be Feb. 1st. 


ROCK ON!

Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE DOGLADY'S DEN! 
 

9 comments:

  1. This one's another poser for me... almost like not the same song! Since I'm a sucker for pedal steel, I'll take #2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice song from a great album.

    Both covers are nice, but the steel guitar & tempo won me over to the second version.

    My vote goes to The Mynabirds.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Debbie!

    I liked both covers, but Dave Grohl will always be my favorite. My vote goes to Foo Fighters.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy New Year, Debbie!

    The Mynabirds did a good job but it was Foo Fighters who won me over. Nice job!

    May 2024 bring y'all much happiness, love, good health, and fortune, my friend. Let's make the new year great by filling it with lots and lots of good music! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked The Mynabirds version much better. The tempo was better and the sound was better. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great song! I've never heard it before, so thanks ;-) I wasn't sure I'd like the Foo Fighter's version but I do. I like it best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy New Year to you, DEBBIE!

    This contest is a pert-dern goot juan!

    Now is it just me, or does this song have a very Beatles-esque sound and feel to it?

    I certainly embrace the sentiment of the song, and I actually enjoyed *both* versions. However, I'm siding slightly with THE FOO FIGHTERS, and that's also who Judge Al Bondigas is rulin' for. Why, how come that? Well, plain & simple, we both kind of preferred the male vocal sound. Not that we're misogynists or anything! But 8 or 9 out of 10 times my ears embrace male vocalists more than the higher-pitched female sound. (Karen Carpenter, Brenda Lee, and Mahalia Jackson are major exceptions for me.)

    So, to recap the voting here:
    TWO for FOO

    ~ D-FensDogG
    [Link> BOTB's BATTLE OF THE BOOZE: JAN. 1, 2024

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year and hope it was lovely. I am giving my vote to the Mynabirds because I like the tempo and the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My vote goes to the Mynabirds. The original song sounds very Beatle's-esque but the Foo Fighters seemed to slow it down too much for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž