BATTLE OF THE BANDS BY DEBBIE D: SO LONG, MARIANNE #BOTB RESULTS
Hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands, this is where you listen to different artists and choose the one you prefer. Votes will be tallied and posted the following week. Care to join us on the 1st of every month? (Optionally also on the 15th.) Contact our host, by clicking on the above link (in red) and leaving a comment on his blog. The more, the merrier!

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ดThis blog allows embedding of images and videos in comments. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Click HERE ► to learn how.๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ”ด๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿ‘ˆ

March 08, 2023

SO LONG, MARIANNE #BOTB RESULTS

WELCOME BACK TO BOTB! 
It’s time to announce the results of the March 1st showdown.

Thank you all for making my return such a success! ๐Ÿ’–

This battle featured Brian Hyland, a former teen idol, and rock musician John Cale, partnered with folksinger Suzanne Vega.

At first, it looked like a complete wipeout, with Hyland taking all the votes. Slowly, some trickled in for Cale & Vega, but they couldn't catch up. Most people preferred Hyland's lighter, breezier version. 
I like them both, but in 1971, the strains of Brian's "So Long, Marianne" were heard daily on the radio, for months. That was an eventful year for me and I have many memories attached to the song! Inevitably, nostalgia wins out. 

Here’s how it went down:


BRIAN HYLAND
Arlee, Ben, Birgit, Cathy, Chris, Debbie, Eugenia,
John, Mary, PSAB&Granny, Tamara
Total: 11

JOHN CALE & SUZANNE VEGA
Carol, diedre, Stephen
Total: 03

ACK! A blowout! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
Well, at least it wasn't a shutout. ๐Ÿ˜…

CONGRATULATIONS TO
BRIAN HYLAND!
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I couldn't find a performance video, but here's one of another hit he had that year:

Don't forget to check back with the others, for their BOTB results: 

Curious as a Cathy / Jingle Jangle Jungle / Mike's Ramblings / Sound of One Hand Typing/ 
HOST: StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands / StreamPebbles / Tossing it Out

As always, "Sharing is Caring". Spread this musical joy all over your social networks. ๐Ÿ™Œ
Hashtags are #BOTB and #dogladysden

Next Battle on this site will be  April 1st.
ROCK ON!

rockchick bitmoji

Follow THE DOGLADY'S DEN 's board BATTLE OF THE BANDS #BOTB at THE DOGLADY'S DEN on Pinterest.

decorative scroll for end of post: BOTB

▼ ♫♪♫ Want more music? Head on over to The Doglady's Den! ♫♪♫ ▼

 

8 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    I'm glad your battle didn't turn out to be a shutout. Thanks for reporting the outcome in your return BOTB post. I have my results up, too. Have a bandtastic day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Still, I hope the next one isn't so lopsided. Yes, I saw your results. Glad the Blues Beatles won!

      Delete
  2. That was a very decisive outcome and the way it should have been in my opinion. Brian Hyland had a lot of great song hits back in our younger days. I think his music still holds up nicely.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also preferred Brian's version and like a lot of his work. Maybe I should have found a different cover to go against Cale & Vega? ☺ At least it wasn't a shutout!

      Delete
  3. You had a good turnout, DEBBIE, even if the results were quite lopsided. But I consider any Battle that isn't a shutout to be a success, so I'd say it was a successful return to BOTB for you.

    I don't think I ever knew that Brian Hyland also did the song 'Gypsy Woman'. I've always liked that song, too!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, I agree! The turnout was excellent and what a relief we avoided the dreaded shutout. Thanks for helping with that. ☺

      From 1969-1972, Brian Hyland made a comeback on the charts. Pretty good for a former teen idol!

      :img:https://thedogladysden.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/brian-hyland-hits-1969-71.png:eimg:

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie! I enjoyed your battle very much. I have to admit, I wouldn't have known Brian from Eve's Adam, but you introduced me to a new song - and a new band, Bleeker Street. And now you've made my day with "Gypsy Woman"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi diedre! I'm glad you enjoyed the battle. ๐Ÿ™‚ Gypsy Woman was a big hit for Brian, back in '71/'72.

      Delete

Thanks for participating๐ŸŒž